A Different Approach to the Music of the 1980's

* Discovered?
Sure they were signed, but who knew?

* Going Solo, Going Nowhere!
The restless one's who leave behind their bandmates to briefly go it alone.

* Long forgotten one-hit wonders

* What is local?
Checking in on unsigned talent.

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Every Word is True...

...Simply because there are few words on the very existence of this band. It's no mystery if you've been following my exploits here over the last couple of years that you will find a lot of this music comes from my short time spent in college radio. Non-Fiction is no exception. Hailing from the great state of Texas (something I only recently uncovered in my exhaustive research on this artist), One would not expect music of this type to emerge from the Dallas area, but then one cannot perceive that the only music out of the Lone Star State would be of the Country and Western variety. In my clueless years as a college disc jockey however, I may have construed that notion to be quite true. All kidding aside, this band may have fallen well beneath even my finely tuned radar, had it not been for the inclusion of a creatively crafted update of the Rolling Stones classic, Let's Spend the Night Together. In 1982, while New Wave had become well established in the music mainstream, I found myself a newly converted fan of music created decades earlier. Kivetsky; a local band had become my first passion on the Long Island club circuit. A group of four musicians, they recreated the 1960's nightly to exuberant, often overflowing crowds and opened my mind to music I had only been peripherally aware of. I resisted a lot of the New Wave movement during those early years in radio, yet hypocritically embraced this techno version of my all-tine favorite Stones tune. Like so many of the other bands featured here, I carried my own personal torch for Non-Ficiton. Now, nearly three decades after the release of their only record, I proudly induct them as honorary members into the Unknown 80's Hall of Fame. If anyone happens to have some viable information on this band, I'm all ears. After viewing the video below, please feel free to leave any comments and/or suggestions for future artists to be featured here. Thanks for dropping by.
- Morty
Oct. 2010

1 comment:

Bobton said...

I know this band very well. They did a live simulcast on Q102 in Dallas